Broccoli & Cheddar Bake
Courtesy of: Check Your Health website, Utah Department of Health
4 cups chopped fresh broccoli
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 tbsp water
1-1/2 cup egg substitute
1 cup fat-free milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (or 180°C). Lightly coat baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a non-stick skillet, combine the broccoli, onion and water. Saute over medium-high heat until the vegetables are tender, about 5-8 minutes. Keep adding hot water to prevent the vegetables from drying out, but use as little water as possible. When the broccoli is done, drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the egg substitute, milk and 3/4 cup cheese. Add the broccoli mixture and pepper. Stir to mix well.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Set the baking dish into a large pan filled with about 1 inch of water. Bake uncovered about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and top with the remaining 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings
Tips from BALANCE for Blind Adults
- Egg substitute comes in a small carton and can be found in the dairy section of your grocery store. It is lower in fat and cholesterol than whole eggs. If you don’t have egg substitute, you’ll need 6 whole eggs for this recipe.
- You can use low-fat cheddar cheese.
- To avoid putting the baking dish into a hot oven, turn the oven to 350°F (or 180°C) after placing the dish inside. Remember to add about 10 minutes to the suggested cooking time.
- To make smaller amounts, adjust the ingredients accordingly. Better yet, invite some friends to dinner!